History of Blindness in Hull & East Yorkshire

Supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund

HERIB was awarded a grant by the Heritage Lottery Fund to explore the history of blindness in Hull and the East Riding a Heritage Lottery Fund. This exciting project demonstrates the impact of the charity’s work since it was formed and shares the story of how the lives of the blind community of the region have been impacted by legislation, social attitudes and global events throughout the last 150 years. 

Heritage Lottery logo


The story of HERIB (Hull and East Riding Institute for the Blind) goes back to the year 1863 when the population of Hull was 99,000. As the town gradually grew, so from small beginnings did the charity, which today continues to hold an important place within the region.

HERIB’s history is a story of vision, faith and courage on the part of many over the years who took on the challenge of promoting the welfare of the blind.





     The Beginning        

 

 

Original objectives of the Blind Institute

 

   

    Original Objectives

 

 

 

Kinston Square premises 1870's

     

     The Early Years

 

 

Boot repairer

     

     The Workshops

 

 

Louis Braille

     

     The 1880's

 

Old school classroom

   

      Education

 

Sir Philip Reckitt

 

   

     The 1890's and early 1900's

 

 

 

 

Soldiers world war 1

   

     World War I

 

 

Old retail Shop

   

     The 1920's

 

 

Seated men

     

     The 1930's

 

 

buy form the blind scheme

   

     Buy from the Blind Scheme

 

 

WRVS World War 2

     

     World War II

 

 

Knitting Machinery

   

     The 1950's

 

 

Minibus Arriving

     

     The 1960's

 

 

Machinery 2

     

     The 1970's

 

 

Beech Holme Court Entrance

     

     The 1980's

 

 

aids and equipment

   

     The 1990's

 

 

Mobile resource bus

     

     The New Millennium

 

 

Present day collage

     

     Present Day